Friday, February 02, 2007

I'm not complaining....

I've been working from home on a full time basis for a couple of years, and I have a couple of peeves about the work practice. Don't get me wrong; I love the fact that I have this incredible freedom in my work life. I pity those poor folks who don't have the ability to work from home.
They don't know what they are missing. But it does have a peculiar set of disadvantages.
The one that hits me the hardest centers around participation in meetings at odd times. I have a standing call at 6:30AM on Fridays. I like the people on the call, and I get a lot of good information by participating, but I have a hard time both getting up for the call, and then because I have 4 kids, I have a hard time balancing the call and the management of those kids as we try to get them up, presentable, and off to school. I drive them to school, along with two neighbor kids, in one of those massive Suburbans. Yes, some of the folks who have them actually use them as they were intended. We have the nine passenger version, and I would say that two or three times a week we have it full- all nine seats filled.
Thank god for mute. I sometimes call in to the meeting on my cell phone and mute myself. I listen in, but I am sure I miss some things because of the tyrany of the present- some little munchkin will be doing something that they shouldn't and distract me.

No comments: