Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"I -state your name- do solemly swear..."

One of my least favorite phrases that my children utter (whine actually) is "why does he/she get to _______ when I don't get to?! It's not fair!" Well, it's my turn. Why does my daughter get to go to the Presidential Inauguration when I don't?! Perhaps being able to spell it is a gating factor....no, then our current president wouldn't have been able to attend (MIGHT have gotten it right the second time if properly coached) and it would look bad if the guy who is being inaugurated couldn't be there.... Anyway, she received an invitation due to her attendance at a previous Junior National Young Leaders Conference. I am so proud of her for all her achievements- she just charges ahead and does well in whatever environment she gets thrown into; I am happy to send her. I just wish I could go. I am actually a bit jealous of her. That and she can eat anything she wants and she doesn't gain weight.

BTW here is the entire text of the oath of office:

" I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."
United States Constitution, Article II, Section 1, Clause 8.

No comments: