Monday, June 12, 2006

One proud dad!

I am so proud of my daughter this weekend! She is 13, and was going to sleep over at a friend's house with a bunch of other girls- typical slumber party. She has done this many times, and we have hosted them many times. I am the only dad who will pile the girls into the 'burban to go TPing at 1 in the morning, so I figured they would need another ride for this sleepover. I know it's a marginal call, but they will do it with or without a ride, and I don't feel comfortable having the girls out running around at 1AM without an adult, so I drive them. At least that's my story if the police catch us.... Anyway, she backed out of the party. Turns out the parents were going to be gone, and the 18 year old brother of the host girl would be in charge. I am amazed that she backed out on her own. My wife is equally amazed. It would appear that we are actually doing a good job of parenting. Or she is just more level headed than I at her age. I think both are true, now that I think about it.

I will take the win, and give all the props to my wife. I, as you may have already deduced, was/am a bit lacking in the self control category, and in my youth I would have jumped on the opportunity in a heartbeat. I have related a lot of my experience to my daughter, and she is at times impressed, horrified, and amused. Better she hear it from me than from one of my friends, or, god forbid, she experience the bad things in life for herself.

On the other hand, she has changed her college plans. She now wants to go to a party school. Even asked where she might find a ranking of those schools. I KNOW how that story goes....

And now, time for the US to play in the World Cup!

No comments: